Saturday, December 31, 2011

My new years eve skirt.











Do you ever find really awful long wool pleated skirts when you are thrifting and you love the plaid but can't picture yourself looking luvvly jubbly in the thing? Look beyond the style,  close your eyes, buy the skirt and go home and get out your scissors. I like to buy 2 or 3 sizes larger than my frame so I can wash (hot) and dry (hot) to season the wool. Sometimes it can even felt the wool which is always a nice gift. If the skirt still looks too new, sand the wool, make small slices into the wool, stretch and abuse the wool until you are satisfied.







Let's get the party skirt started.


Cut off the hem leaving around 4" for your new hem. I wanted my skirt to fit low at my hips rather than be a high waisted skirt. It was a size 12 so it worked out wickedly.




Fraying the newly washed and dryed hem is easy peasy. Just pull a  thread and start creating the fray.   I like a 1/2-1" edge of fray.
Now it is time to iron your hem up to begin stitching. Try turning the fabric up on the outside of your skirt to reveal the hem. This gives a nice exposed look.





You might want to use yarn or a contrasting color of waxed thread or even jute. Stitch like crazy. Stitch all of those barmy pleats down. Create the line you want for your skirt. Mine turned out to be sort of a bubble skirt after I nailled down all the pleats. GOOD BYE pleats.


Happy 2012!

Ta, xo J

3 comments:

  1. Wicked good! (That's a New England saying!) I love it. You are so creative with re-purposing clothing! I never thought to cut the waist band of a skirt and lower it to fit better. Of course, I'm just cutting the whole thing up for rugs!
    btw, I loved my little card...it's on the fridge, where I can see it all the time!
    Have a Happy New Year!
    Cheers!!
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking too that it would already be hooked into a rug at my house!! LOL!! LOVE it though...... especially the big stitching with yarn!!
    Happy New Year my friend! Looking forward to lots of Luvvly Jubbly in 2012!!
    Hugs!!
    Cathy G

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those crazy rug hookers! Wool just isn't safe with them around. I LOVE the stitching on the outside with the contrasting yarn. Also, the whole piece came together so nice with just the right amount of bubble. And..... Very sweet in the plaid. Jessy, your creativity just doesn't stop. I sooooo admire your energy!

    Love you friend....
    Dulcy

    ReplyDelete